If you’re in need of a great, last minute side dish to add to your Easter fare, I’ve got one for you! This comes together so quickly, tastes delicious and looks beautiful. Best of all for those of you who will be busy entertaining family and friends, it can be completely prepped the night before.
Asparagus Swiss Cheese Strata
- 1 bunch asparagus, trimmed
- 6 slices bread
- 1 6 oz pkg. shredded Swiss cheese
- 4 eggs
- 1 1/2 cup milk
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- Plunge asparagus in boiling water for 2-4 minutes, depending on the thickness of the spears. Drain and rinse immediately with cold water.
- Grease a 13 x 9 casserole dish. Layer 6 slices of bread in the bottom of the dish. Top with Swiss cheese.
- In a bowl, whisk together eggs, milk and seasonings. Pour into casserole dish. Neatly arrange asparagus spears on top of casserole. Cover and refrigerate at least 30 minutes, or up to 10 hours.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 40-45 minutes, until slightly puffed and golden brown around the edges. If the top starts to get brown too quickly, cover with foil for the remaining cooking time. Let sit for 5 minutes before slicing.
NOT my mom’s lamb cake (photo source: jpwchi), but pretty darn close to the way hers usually looks. I suppose one of these days I should invest in my own lamb cake mold. It probably wouldn’t be the same though!