Have you picked up your copy of Better Breakfast – 110 Breakfast Recipes yet? Don’t forget, the sales price of $3.97 ends Thursday. Order yours today!
Some days, I’m fortunate enough to find a big chunk or two of time in my day when I can steal away to the kitchen. I get dinner done, maybe bake some fresh goodies, and if there’s extra time, I do prep work for future days. But then there are other days where I just have a few minutes here or there. While it’s not as easy to get a lot done on a schedule like that, it really is surprising how much can be done in small chunks of time.
Personally, I sometimes find those small chunks of time more productive than larger ones. I know I only have so much time, so I stay on task without getting distracted. I view it as dedicated work time and tackle my projects that way. Plus, 10 or 15 minutes really is a lot of time. Set a timer and get to work, then see if you don’t agree with me.
Here is just a quick, off the top of my head list of things that I’ve done over the past few weeks in those small, 10-15 minute chunks of time.
- Brown and drain a pound of ground beef.
- Dice a pound of onions.
- Mince a whole head of garlic.
- Peel and cube 3 lbs. of potatoes.
- Make hard-boiled eggs.
- Assemble a lasagna.
- Mix up a batch of cookie dough.
- Roll out and cut a dozen homemade biscuits.
- Mix together the dough for homemade egg noodles.
- Peel and slice 6 apples.
- Make hummus.
- Make 2 dozen pancakes.
- Shred 1 lb. of cheese.
- Pound and season a pound of chicken.
- Dice the veggies for 2 cups of trinity (celery, onions, green pepper).
- Shuck and boil a half dozen ears of corn.
- Mix together a homemade bread dough and set to rise.
- Boil a pound of pasta.
- Make rice or couscous.
- Make homemade berry syrup.
- Roll out a dozen homemade tortillas.
- Make a pot of oatmeal.
- Fill and roll enchiladas or burritos.
- Trim and steam a pound of green beans.
- Make a roux-based sauce (ie. cheese sauce, gravy, cream of substitute, etc.)
What do you work on if you have just a few minutes in the kitchen?