Some days, I just need a bowl of soup. Any other plans I have for food for that day can quickly take a back seat if the opportunity for a big bowl of soup pops up. I try to keep lots of homemade soup in the freezer for those days when the soup craving that can’t be tamed occurs. Unfortunately, that happens a lot and I sometimes lose track of when my freezer soup stash needs to be replenished.
That is exactly what I was facing one day last week when I was craving a big bowl of soup for lunch. While the Panera down the street was calling to me, I just couldn’t justify the indulgence. Instead, I decided to whip up a quick soup with what I had on hand.
The soup turned out SO good and it came together so quickly. My husband headed to our bedroom to take a shower while I was still debating what to make and I had to get him out of the shower because our soup was ready. It was literally that fast! My only fear is now that I have this awesome, quick soup in my arsenal I’ll be making it for a late night snack.
15 Minute Curry Vegetable Chowder
- 1 bag frozen California blend vegetables (broccoli, cauliflower & carrots)
- 4 cup chicken stock or broth
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 4 tbsp butter
- 1/8 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 – 2 tsp curry powder
- 1/4 cup curry powder
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 3/4 cup milk
- Additional salt and pepper, to taste
- Pour the frozen veggies into a large pot and pour chicken stock on top. Stir in 1 t. salt and 1/2 t. pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes. While the vegetables simmer, melt butter with crushed red pepper flakes. Stir in curry powder and flour. Cook for 2 minutes. Stir in soup and bring to a boil. Remove from heat. With a potato masher or immersion blender, mash the veggies in the chicken stock until desired consistency. Bring back to a boil and slowly stir in milk mixture. Cook for another minute or so, just until incorporated and thickened.
Come join Soup-a-Palooza with TidyMom and Dine and Dish sponsored by Bush’s Beans, Hip Hostess, Pillsbury andWestminster Crackers