As part of my baking day on Saturday, I knew some kind of zucchini baked good had to be on the list. I was leaning toward a bread, but my husband thought muffins would be the better route. His rationale was that it would be easier to pull just a few out of the freezer at a time. Which means we wouldn’t a) overindulge or b) let anything go to waste. It’s pretty hard to argue with that logic.
I have been a fan of zucchini mixed in with baked goods for as long as I can remember. I never had a problem with the green flecks, although it did take a little convincing with one of our kids. For me, the best thing about adding zucchini is the moistness it provides without having an overly strong flavor.
In these muffins, the zucchini and pineapple team up to make a moist, sweet muffin. The nuts add great texture and the spices give the muffins a traditional flavor while still being light and muffin-y, instead of a dense bread.
Zucchini Nut Muffins with Pineapple
- 3 c. flour
- 1 t. baking soda
- 1 t. baking powder
- 1 t. salt
- 1 t. cinnamon
- 1/4 t. nutmeg
- 1/8 t. allspice
- 2 eggs
- 2 c. sugar
- 1 c. oil (vegetable or canola)
- 2 c. shredded/grated zucchini (about 1 large, 2 medium zucchini) *No need to squeeze out the liquid.*
- 1 c. crushed pineapple, not drained
- 1 c. chopped walnuts
1. In a small bowl, stir together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg and allspice. Set aside.
2. In a mixing bowl, beat together the eggs, sugar and oil until combined. Stir in the zucchini and pineapple.
3. By hand, fold in the set aside flour mixture and nuts. Spoon batter into greased or lined muffin tins, about 3/4 full.
4. Bake at 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes, until lightly golden brown on top and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
And by the way, would somebody please remind this not-to-bright pregnant mama that the next time she bakes for the freezer, baking half of the zucchini muffins in foil muffin liners is probably not the greatest idea. So much for defrosting those babies for a few seconds in the microwave!