I’ll admit potato pancakes are a labor of love. They’re certainly not the quickest things to put together, at least not when made the traditional way. However, they are stolen moments friendly since they can be made in advance (up to 2 days in the fridge or a few months in the freezer). I usually make these when I have a good hour to devote to the kitchen, that way I don’t feel rushed or stressed due to the process.
This recipe makes 12 thick potato pancakes. I’d definitely double the recipe if I wanted to freeze them. I didn’t have enough carrots or zucchini on hand to double this time though. You could also make these plain potato pancakes by omitting the zucchini and carrots and replacing with more potato, but they really add a great flavor to the finished product.
Veggie Potato Pancakes
- 1 c. shredded zucchini
- 1 c. shredded carrots
- 1/2 c. shredded onion
- 3 c. shredded potatoes (1 large russet potato will roughly equal one cup)
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 – 2 c. flour
- 1 t. garlic powder
- 1 t. Italian seasoning
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Oil, for frying
1. Combine all of the ingredients, except oil, in a large bowl. Use only 1 1/2 c. flour to start. Combine with your hands and see if the mixture will hold its shape. If it seems loose, add the remaining flour.
2. Using about a 1/3 c. of potato mixture at a time, form into pancakes of desired thickness.
3. Heat about an inch of oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Cook no more than 4 potato pancakes at a time. Cook about 3 minutes per side, until each side is browned and crispy.
*Note: If you made thick potato pancakes, you might need to bake them an additional 15 minutes or so at 350 degrees. This actually works perfectly for the stolen moments method. Just refrigerate or freeze after browning in oil, and then finish the baking process just before eating.
Before you go, please click over here to pick up a free copy of The Frugal Kitchen ebook which I just finished putting together. I’d also love your input on a new Stolen Moments Menu Planning service that I’m getting ready to roll out. Thanks!
Vote for Cooking During Stolen Moments at the BlogLuxe awards.