Ok, I realize I’m pushing it a bit here. The calendar says March 30th. It says SPRING. But we’ve yet to really feel that around here. So I hope you all don’t mind me sneaking in just one more cold-weather dish. Believe me, I am more than ready to switch seasons in my kitchen!
Tuscan Beef Stew
- 2 T. olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lb. mushrooms, sliced
- 1 1/2 lbs. beef stew meat
- 2 t. Italian seasoning
- 1 t. salt
- 1/2 t. pepper
- 1 15 oz. can diced tomatoes
- 1 8 oz. can tomato sauce
- 2 c. beef stock
- 1 15 oz. can canellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 lb. frozen spinach
- 3 T. tomato paste
- Additional salt and pepper, to taste
- Grated Parmesan cheese, optional
1. Heat olive oil in a large pot. Stir in onions, garlic and mushrooms. Cook for 5 minutes until mushrooms are lightly browned. Stir in beef and continue cooking until browned on all sides. Stir in Italian seasoning, salt and pepper.
2. Pour tomatoes, tomato sauce and beef stock into pot. Bring to a boil, cover and reduce heat to low. Simmer over low heat for 2-3 hours, until beef is tender.
3. Stir in beans, spinach and tomato paste. Increase heat to medium and continue cooking an additional 10-15 minutes, until thickened. Season with additional salt and pepper, to taste. Garnish with Parmesan cheese, if desired.