This is such a fun and tasty dinner. The kids think the chicken, covered in chips, is a real treat. And my husband and I love it because the chips provide an awesome texture without frying. And the veggies really help to pull the flavors together.
If you are entertaining, this would be a great dish to make. The kids can have just the chicken, maybe with salsa or a Southwestern ranch dip and the adults can top their chicken with the fajita veggies, salsa, pico de gallo or guacamole. You could put out little bowls of each and let people choose what they like.
Tortilla Crusted Chicken with Fajita Veggies
- 1 -2 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts, pounded thin
- 1 T. Blackening or Taco seasoning
- 1 c. finely crushed tortilla chips
- 3 T. butter, melted
- 1 T. olive oil
- 1/2 green pepper, thinly sliced
- 1/2 onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 green onions, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 2 t. Blackening or Taco seasoning
- 1 tomato, sliced
1. Sprinkle chicken breasts on both wides with the blackening or taco seasoning. Coat both sides with crushed tortilla chips. Place on a cookie sheet and drizzle melted butter evenly over all the pieces.
2. Bake at 350 degrees for about 15 minutes, until fully cooked.
3. While the chicken cooks, heat the olive oil in a small skillet. Add the pepper and onion slices. Cook for 3 minutes. Add the garlic, green onions and seasoning. Cook an additional 2 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in tomatoes.
4. Serve the fajita veggies on top of or on the side of the chicken. Enjoy!