We love Mexican foods of all kinds in our home. My kids always request spicy (or “fiecy, depending on who’s asking) foods. However, as the controller of the kitchen, I sometimes get bored with the stand-bys of tacos, burritos, enchiladas, etc. So this is a fun dish to mix things up a little bit. Everything can be made ahead of time and just warmed in the oven or microwave before eating.
Taco Meatloaf Patties with Mexican Mac & Cheese
For the Taco Meatloaf Patties:
- 1 1/2 lb. ground beef
- 1 c. quick oats or breadcrumbs
- 1 T. cumin
- 3 t. chili powder
- 2 t. garlic powder
- 2 t. salt
- 1/4 c. salsa
- 1 egg
- 1 c. shredded cheddar cheese
1. In a large bowl, combine ground beef, oats or breadcrumbs, seasonings, salsa and egg. Mix well with hinds until thoroughly combined.
2. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Divide mixture into 6 to 8 uniformly-sized oval patties. Place in hot skillet and cook 3-4 minutes, until browned. Flip patties, cook another 3 minutes. Then, reduce heat to low, cover skillet and continue cooking until meat is fully cooked.
3. Once patties are fully cooked, sprinkle cheese on top. Replace skillet cover just until cheese is melted.
- 1 lb. macaroni, fully cooked and drained
- 1/4 c. butter or margarine
- 1/4 c. flour
- 2 c. milk
- 2 c. shredded or cubed sharp cheddar
- Salt, to taste
- 1/3 – 1/2 c. salsa
1. Melt butter or margarine in a saucepan over medium heat. Whisk in flour and cook for 2-3 minutes. Whisk in milk, bring to a boil and simmer until thickened, stirring frequently.
2. Remove from heat. Add cheese and stir until completely melted. Season to taste with salt. Stir in salsa and noodles.