Ground beef stroganoff is always a favorite at our house. It’s definitely a quick meal to throw together and it tastes great. It doesn’t matter what I serve it over – mashed potatoes, egg noodles, rice – the plates always get cleaned in a hurry.
But sometimes there are nights when we want something a little different and fun, especially on family nights when we watch a movie while eating. So one night I decided we could turn a favorite into a hand held, couch-sitting friendly dinner. It turned out great and we all enjoyed the slight variation a lot.
Since I wanted this to be a hand-held friendly meal, I replaced the traditional sour cream with cream cheese for a thicker sauce.
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 1/2 lb. mushrooms, sliced *optional
- Salt, pepper, garlic powder to taste
- 3 T. flour
- 1 c. beef stock
- 1 t. thyme
- 2 oz. cream cheese
- 6 English muffins
- 1 1/2 c. shredded cheddar cheese
1. In a large skillet, brown ground beef , onion and optional mushrooms. Season to taste with salt, pepper and garlic powder. Stir in flour and cook for 2 minutes. Stir in beef broth. Bring to a boil and simmer until thickened. Add cream cheese and stir until melted.
2. Split English muffins and place on a baking sheet. Cover each half with some of the stroganoff mixture and top with shredded cheese. Bake at 350 degrees until English muffins are toasty and cheese is melted, about 8-10 minutes.