I am still living in my imaginary world where I actually have a garden. And that imaginary garden is overflowing with squash, just like all the real gardens I read about across the blogosphere.
With the price of squash so low in grocery stores right now, my vicarious living has been very easy. Fortunately, my family enjoys eating squash almost as much as I enjoy coming up with new recipes for it. (We might all feel differently if we were the ones living with 500 pounds of squash though.)
This one’s for you Amy!
- 1 lb. ground beef, fully cooked and drained
- 4 c. fully cooked brown rice
- 1 14.5 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 1 8 oz can tomato sauce
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/3 c. green onions, sliced
- 1 T. Italian seasoning
- 1 1/2 t. salt
- 1/2 t. black pepper
- 1/4 t. allspice
- 2 medium-sized zucchini
- 2 medium-sized yellow squash
- 2 c. shredded Italian cheese blend
1. In a large bowl, combine the ground beef, rice, tomatoes, tomato sauce,garlic, green onions and seasonings. Set aside.
2. Thinly slice zucchini and yellow squash lengthwise.
3. In a 13 x 9 casserole dish, layer beef mixture, zucchini slices and cheese until dish is full, ending with a layer of zucchini and cheese on top. Cover with foil and refrigerate until dinner time or bake immediately at 350 degrees for 40-45 minutes, until bubbly and cheese is melted.