Breakfast pizza has always been a bit of a mystery to me. I’ve eaten it a few times at restaurants and really enjoyed. So I’ve always wanted to tackle making it myself. However, all of the recipes I’ve seen for it have always seemed like they would be too dry.
Today I finally figured out a creative solution and decided to have some fun experimenting. I’m so glad I did because the results were just delicious. This recipe is somewhere between a cross of sausage and gravy with biscuits and breakfast pizza. It’s a perfect any-time-of-day meal.
Sausage & Gravy Breakfast Pizza
- 3 c. flour
- 1 T. baking powder
- 1 t. salt
- 1/2 c. butter or margarine, cut into pieces
- 1/2 – 3/4 c. milk
- 1 lb. bulk pork sausage
- 1/4 c. flour
- 1 1/2 c. milk
- Salt & Pepper, to taste
- 2 T. butter or margarine
- 1/2 green pepper, diced
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 4 eggs, whisked with 2 T. milk
- 2 c. shredded cheese
1. In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt. Cut in butter or margarine until crumbly. Add 1/2 c. milk and combine. Add remaining milk if needed. Knead dough for 1 minute, until it holds together. Press onto the bottom of a lightly greased cookie sheet and bake at 350 degrees for 8 minutes, just to prebake.
2. In a skillet, brown pork sausage. Do NOT drain. Stir in 1/4 c. flour and cook for 2 minutes. Add milk and stir until thickened. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Pour on top of the prebaked biscuit crust.
3. Rinse skillet and return to stove. Melt 2 tablespoons butter or margarine and add green pepper and onions. Cook for 5 minutes. Add the whisked eggs, salt and pepper to taste, and cook until eggs are scrambled to desired consistency. Spoon over the sausage gravy.
4. Cover the entire pizza with cheese. Bake at 350 degrees for 10 – 13 minutes, until crust is lightly browned at the edges and cheese is completely melted.
This post is being linked to:
- Tempt My Tummy Tuesday at Blessed With Grace
- Tasty Tuesday at Balancing Beauty and Bedlam
- Tackle It Tuesday at 5 Minutes for Mom
- $5 Dinner Challenge at $5 Dinners
Before you go, please click over here to pick up a free copy of The Frugal Kitchen ebook which I just finished putting together. I’d also love your input on a new Stolen Moments Menu Planning service that I’m getting ready to roll out. Thanks!
Vote for Cooking During Stolen Moments at the BlogLuxe awards.