As the summer goes on, Eric and I are getting more and more comfortable with using the grill on a regular basis. We’ve finally started branching off into grilling our side dishes on occasion as well. So far, so good!
I’ve done kebabs and skewers in the oven for years and I’ve been anxiously awaiting for Eric to be comfortable enough to try his hand at grilling. Once that happened, we opted for a side dish, just because it seemed like a safer bet. We are definitely converted now!
One tip that I’ve relied for a long time when cooking potatoes on skewers like this, whether in the oven or on the grill, is to boil them for about 15 minutes first. That way, all they have to do is finishing cooking, which results in a nice creamy, fully-cooked inside and a crispy skin. Plus, it keeps the potatoes from taking a lot longer to cook than the other veggies. (And if you want to take advantage of some stolen moments, the potatoes can be boiled earlier in the day and just stored in the fridge. For that matter, the skewers can be assembled completely ahead of time as well.)
Rosemary Potato & Veggie Skewers
- 2 lbs. baby red potatoes
- 2 zucchini, halved lengthwise and quartered
- 1/2 lb. mushrooms, halved
- 1 – 2 red peppers, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1/3 c. butter, melted
- 1/4 c. olive oil
- Coarse sea salt
- Black pepper
- Fresh rosemary, minced
- Bamboo skewers
1. Place potatoes in a large pot with cold water. Bring to a boil and boil for about 15 minutes, just until fork tender. Drain and rinse with cold water.
2. Thread potatoes, zucchini, mushrooms and red pepper on bamboo skewers.
3. Stir melted butter and olive oil together and brush on skewers. Sprinkle generously with sea salt, pepper and Rosemary. Grill or bake on a cookie sheet at 375 degrees for 15-20 minutes, until potatoes are crispy and veggies are tender.