Breakfast is probably my favorite meal of the day. But usually I only really enjoy on those rare occasions when we go out to eat. Otherwise, I usually just feel rushed through the making and eating of breakfast. In fact, I usually skip breakfast at home because I’m too distracted with other things.
So, I love breakfasts that I can make ahead a day in advance, especially if I know there will be enough to last for 2 days. This is one of those breakfasts. And in addition to it making my mornings less hectic, it’s also delicious. The subtle lemon flavor blends perfectly with the coconut and raisins. Add a cup of coffee to the mix and this is a great way to start the day!
Paradise Breakfast Buns
- 3 1/2 c. flour
- 1/2 c. sugar
- 2 t. baking powder
- 1/2 t. salt
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1 c. butter, cut into pieces
- 4 eggs, divided
- 3/4 c. milk
- 1 c. raisins
- 1 7 oz. package shredded coconut
- 2 T. sugar
1. Combing the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and lemon zest in a large bowl. Cut in the butter until crumbly.
2. In a small bowl, beat together 2 whole eggs and 2 egg yolks (reserve the whites) with the milk. Pour into mixing bowl and mix just until combined. Stir in the raisins and coconut just until incorporated. Be careful to not over stir.
3. Using a rounded tablespoon of dough, place on cookie sheets. Slightly beat the reserved egg whites and brush over the dough. Sprinkle with sugar. Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes, until golden brown.