I love this meal because it works so perfectly with my kitchen routine. It’s a great example of a meal that is better when it is prepared ahead of time. The extra time it sits in the refrigerator really helps the flavors to meld.
We usually eat this meal as a complete dinner along with a big green salad. However, it also makes a fantastic side dish for all kinds of meals.
Olive Tapenade Stuffed Shells
- 1 box large stuffed shells, cooked and drained
- 1 16oz. can black olives (drain & reserve 2 T. liquid from can)
- 4-6 cloves garlic, minced (adjust to taste)
- 1 T. Extra virgin olive oil
- 1/3 c. breadcrumbs
- 1/3 c. shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1 16oz. can crushed tomatoes
- 1 1/2 c. mozzarella cheese
1. In a food processor or blender, combine the olives, reserved liquid, garlic and olive oil. Process until everything is minced.
2. Scrape olive mixture into a small bowl. Add breadcrumbs and Parmesan cheese. Stir to mix.
3. Spread crushed tomatoes (about 1/3 of the can) over the bottom of a 13×9 casserole dish. Fill each shell with about 2 T. filling. Place in dish. Cover all shells with remaining tomatoes and sprinkle mozzarella cheese on top.
4. Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes, just until heated through and cheese is melted.