This recipe has been tweaked over and over again and I’ve gotten it to the point where I don’t think I could possibly add anything else to it. (Although nuts would make a nice addition too. I usually leave them out though.) The muffins turn out so moist and delicious.
This recipe makes about 3 dozen, so it’s a great one when you want to stock the freezer.
Morning Glory Muffins
- 2 c. whole wheat flour
- 2 1/2 c. white flour (You could probably go less or more either way between the two types of flour.)
- 2 1/2 c. sugar
- 2 t. cinnamon
- 1/2 t. nutmeg
- 1/2 t. ginger
- 2 t. baking soda
- 2 t. baking powder
- 1/2 t. salt
- 1 c. shredded coconut
- 1 c. raisins
- 2 apples, peeled and grated
- 4 carrots, peeled and grated
- 1 can crushed pineapple, drained
- 1 c. mandarin oranges, drained
- 6 eggs
- 1 1/2 c. applesauce
- 1/2 c. vegetable or canola oil
- 2 t. vanilla
- Optional: coarse sugar
1. Stir together the flours, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, baking soda, baking powder and salt in a medium-sized bowl. Set aside.
2. I a large bowl, combine the remaining ingredients and stir to blend well. Slowly add in the dry ingredients until fully incorporated.
3. Fill greased muffin tins 3/4 full. If desired, sprinkle coarse sugar on top of the muffins. Bake at 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes.
Stop by The Grocery Cart Challenge for more recipes.