I’ve had Italian Wedding soup on several different occasions throughout my life. Each time, I enjoyed the soup but I never considered it a favorite. And I also noticed that there was an ingredient or two that was different with each variation I had.
So since I had a batch of mini meatballs on hand from earlier in the week, I figured I’d tackle my own variation of an Italian Wedding soup for our Sunday soup night. Or at least something similar, since I totally winged it as I put the soup together.
I’m glad I did because the soup turned out delicious. We all really enjoyed the combination of flavors and the way the sharpness of the arugula mingled with the broth. I’ll definitely be making this again!
Mini Meatball & Arugula Soup
- 1/2 lb. ground beef
- 1/2 c. breadcrumbs
- 1 egg
- 1 T. Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 t. garlic powder
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 t. olive oil
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 c. carrots, thinly sliced or shredded
- 1 lb. potatoes, cubed (I used new golden potatoes, but any kind would work)
- 5 c. chicken stock
- 1 T. Italian seasoning
- 1 lb. arugula, washed and trimmed
1. Combine the ground beef, bread crumbs, egg, Parmesan cheese, garlic powder and salt & pepper to taste. Mix with hands and roll into small meatballs, about 2 dozen total. Set aside.
2. In a large sauce pan or stockpot, heat olive oil. Add onion and garlic. Cook for 2 minutes. Add mini meatballs and cook until evenly browned. Stir in carrots and potatoes.
3. Add chicken stock and Italian seasoning. Bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat and simmer for about 15-20 minutes, until potatoes are tender. Just before serving, stir in arugula and cook an additional 2-3 minutes, until heated through.
This post is being linked to: