I was shocked to realize that I had not yet copied this recipe over here from my personal blog, A Simple Walk. This is one of my very favorite recipes. I make it monthly and have a few bags in the freezer at all times.
- 2 T. Extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 lb. chicken (boneless or not, whatever you have on hand)
- 1 t. cumin
- 1/2 t. salt
- 1/4 t. pepper
- 1/2 lb. fully cooked black beans
- 1 bag frozen corn
- 1 large jars salsa (or 2 regular sized jars)
- 1/2 c. water
- 2 t. cumin
- 1 t. chili powder
- 1 t. salt
1. Heat olive oil in a large skillet. Season chicken with 1 t. cumin, 1/2 t. salt & 1/4 t. pepper. Add chicken to skillet. Cook for 5-8 minutes, flip, cover skillet and continue cooking until chicken is fully cooked.
2. Remove chicken from skillet. Shred meat and return to pan. Add all remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil and simmer for 5 minutes.
*This should make enough for 3 meals, depending on how much you use. It freezes perfectly in a freezer bag and thaws overnight in the refrigerator.
This is great as a taco filling, but there are so many other ways to use it too.
- Served over rice with shredded cheese on top
- Mexican pizza topping
- Mexican French bread pizzas (So good!!)
- With scrambled eggs for breakfast burritos
- Taco salad
- Thinned with 1 can tomato sauce and 1 1/2 c. chicken stock, plus some extra spices and tortilla strips for a chicken tortilla soup
Oh yeah, we are definitely Hooked On this stuff!
This post is linked to:
- Hooked On… at Hooked On Houses
- Frugal Friday at Life As Mom
- Food On Fridays at Ann Kroeker’s
- Family Recipe Fridays at Vanderbilt Wife
- Recipe Swap at The Grocery Cart Challenge
- Friday Feasts at Mom Trends
Looking for a way to save time and money in the kitchen? Stop by Stolen Moments Menu Planning and take back your kitchen by turning over the menu planning!