Breakfast Idea – Mini-Blinis
Mini-blinis are one of our favorite breakfast treats. They freeze perfectly too, so they’re great to have on hand all the time. Mini-blinis are part of our traditional Christmas morning breakfast, but we like them so much we have them all year long too.
- 1 loaf thinly sliced white bread (Aunt Millie’s – 10/$10; 11th free)
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened (Meijer brand – 4/$5)
- 1 c. sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1/2 c. butter or margarine, melted
- 1 c. sugar
- 1 T. cinnamon
1. Cut crusts off each slice of bread. With a rolling pin, roll each slice of bread until flattened.
2. Beat together cream cheese, sugar, egg yolks and vanilla until well blended.
3. Spread about 1-2 tablespoon cream cheese mixture on each slice of bread and roll-up jelly roll style.
4. Mix together 1 cup sugar and cinnamon in a shallow dish. Roll each blini in melted butter, then roll in cinnamon-sugar combination.
5. Bake at 350 degrees for 10-15 minutes, or until edges are lightly browned.
To freeze: Place unbaked blinis on a cookie sheet and place in the freezer to flash freeze for about an hour. Transfer blinis to a freezer bag and keep frozen until ready to eat. To serve: Place frozen blinis on a cookie sheet and bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes, until edges are lightly browned. You can also cut each blini in half when serving a crowd.
Dinner Idea: Blackened chicken & Roasted asparagus bundles
- Chicken breasts (from 40oz frozen Tyson chicken breasts bag – $4.99)
- Blackening seasoning (I recommend McCormick or Penzey’s)
- 1 lb. asparagus ($.99/lb)
- 1/2 lb. Thorn Apple Valley bacon (2/$5)
- Olive oil
1. Heat a few tablespoons olive oil in a large skillet. Cover both sides of chicken breast with blackening seasoning. Add to hot skillet, cook 3-4 minutes on the first side, flip, cover skillet and continue cooking until done, about 10-15 minutes.
2. Snap ends off of asparagus. Divide into 5 stalk bundles. Wrap each bundle with one slice of bacon. Lay bundles on a cookie sheet, drizzle with olive oil and bake at 375 degrees for 15 minutes.
Don’t forget to stop in at $5 Dinners to see all of this week’s bargain meals.