Have you ever bought an ingredient just because it was on sale and looked really good? I hate to admit it, but I have a tendency of falling into that trap, especially when I break the cardinal rule of never grocery shopping while hungry. That’s exactly what happened earlier this month when I made a quick stop to pick up some yogurt and milk and my eyes landed on a container of Feta cheese. Although I had no idea how I’d use it, I couldn’t resist!
So, I’ve had this container of Feta sitting in our refrigerator while I tried to decide on a great way to use it. Finally, I decided on something a little different that just sounded so good to me for some reason. It turned out exactly as I hoped. The Feta added a perfect little kick to the dish.
I used sliced Chicken & Spinach sausage because I had some on hand, but I think the meat could definitely be swapped for something else. Chicken would great.
- 2 lbs. baby red potatoes, quartered
- 2 T. olive oil
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 T. butter
- 1 lb. chicken sausage, sliced (or substitute with another meat of your choice)
- 2 c. frozen spinach, thawed
- 1 t. salt
- 1 t. Rosemary
- 1/2 t. pepper
- 1 6 oz. can sliced black olives
- 1/2 c. crumbled Feta cheese
1. Place potatoes in a large pot filled with cold water. Bring to a boil and cook for about 15 minutes, just until fork tender. Drain and set aside.
2. Heat olive oil in a large skillet. Add onion and garlic and cook for 3 minutes. Add butter and cook until melted. Stir in sausage, spinach and seasonings. Cook for 5 more minutes, then add potatoes. Cook for about 15 minutes, stirring frequently, until potatoes and browned and crisp.
3. Remove from heat and stir in olives. Top with Feta and serve immediately.