As much as I love cheese soup, I can admit that, on its own, a big bowl does not equate a full meal. So when that was what sounded really good to me the other night, I decided I could tweak it to make it a full meal that would be both filling and satisfying while still giving me that taste I was craving.
It turned out really good and we all loved it. Plus, what kid wouldn’t love to dig in to a bowl of mac & cheese soup? Bonus – it definitely fills up all of the teenagers that are suddenly living in my house (when did that happen!!??!!)
Mac & Cheese Soup with Veggies
- 2 T. butter
- 1 small onion, diced
- 3 stalks celery, diced
- 3 carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 t. salt
- 1 t. paprika
- 1/2 t. pepper
- 8 c. chicken stock
- 1 1/4 c. elbow macaroni
- 2 c. frozen chopped broccoli, thawed
- 3 T. cornstarch
- 1 1/2 c. milk
- 2 c. shredded cheddar cheese
- 3 T. fresh parsley, chopped
- Additional salt and pepper, to taste
1. Melt butter in a large pot. Add onions, celery and carrots. Season with salt, paprika and pepper and cook until onions are translucent, about 5 minutes. Pour in chicken stock and bring to a slow boil.
2. Add noodles and cook until tender, about 10 minutes. After noodles are fully cooked, add the broccoli. Dissolve cornstarch in milk and slowly stir into slowly boiling soup. Cook until slightly thickened, about 5 minutes.
3. Remove from heat and stir in cheese until fully melted. Add parsley and additional salt and pepper to taste, if needed. Enjoy!