I fell in love with risotto when I made it a few months ago. We’ve had that one particular side dish several times since then. But each time I made it, I kept thinking that I really wanted to make it into a main dish. I toyed with several different ideas until I settled on this one.
Italian Sausage Risotto just made sense to me on so many levels. First of all, we love Italian sausage. Secondly, the classic flavors of a meat or marinara sauce also go over big every single time they hit our table. So, toss all those things together and this is what I ended up with. It was a winner! The creaminess of the rice blended with the sweet-spicy flavors of the sausage and sauce perfectly.
Italian Sausage Risotto
- 1 lb. Italian sausage, bulk or links with the casings removed
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/8 t. crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 bunch green onions, sliced
- 2 c. rice (I just used a medium grain)
- 1 t. salt
- 1/2 t. black pepper
- 1 15 oz. can crushed tomatoes
- 1 8 oz. can tomato sauce
- 3 – 4 c. chicken stock
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 t. Italian seasoning
1. Combine sausage, onions, peppers, garlic and crushed red pepper flakes in a large skillet. Stir and cook over medium-high heat until sausage is no longer pink and onions are tender. Stir in green onions and rice.
2. Slowly pour in tomatoes, tomato sauce and 3 c. chicken stock. Stir in seasonings. Bring to a slow boil, reduce heat and slowly simmer until rice is tender, about 20 minutes, stirring frequently.
If needed, slowly stir in the remaining cook of chicken stock while cooking. Remove bay leaf before serving. Garnish with grated Parmesan cheese, if desired.