Early last week we received a flyer for a newly opened Dunkin Donuts. One of the coupons was for a frozen hot chocolate, which was right next to a big picture of a frozen hot chocolate. Surprisingly, given my penchant for all things coffee and only coffee, I wanted one! It just looked so tasty and I loved the thought of the juxtaposition of hot chocolate and cold treat.
So when I had to come up with a good dessert idea for an impropmtu barbecue with our neighbors, I kept thinking back to that idea. Those coupons are still hanging on our fridge and I’m sure we’ll use them soon. But until then, this quick, rich and completely delicious treat will hold me over.
Hot Chocolate Fluff
- 1 1/2 c. water
- 3 envelopes hot chocolate powder (I used just plain Swiss Miss packets since that’s all I had on hand. I imagine this would be awesome with a really rich hot chocolate or flavored hot chocolate too.)
- 6 1/2 c. mini marshmallows
- 1 c. whipping cream
- Optional garnish: Cocoa powder for dusting, additional whipped cream, sliced strawberry, chocolate curls, etc.
1. Pour water into a sauce pan and heat to boiling. Reduce heat to low and whisk in hot chocolate packets until completely dissolved. Add marshmallows and continue cooking over low until completely melted and smooth, about 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
2. Transfer mixture to a bowl and refrigerate until completely chilled, about 1 hour.
3. In a small bowl, whip cream until soft peaks form. Fold into the hot chocolate mixture until completely combined. Serve immediately or refrigerate until serving. Garnish individual servings as desired.