Remember that chicken recipe I shared yesterday for the homemade chicken “things.” Well here is a delicious way to use them in a meal.
The best part of this meal is that all of the parts can be made ahead and then assembled just before eating. Definitely stolen moments friendly!
Homemade Chicken Bowls
- 1 1/2 lbs. red skin potatoes
- 1/4 c. butter or margarine
- 1/2 c. milk
- 1/4 c. sour cream
- Salt, pepper and garlic powder, to taste
- 2 c. frozen corn, cooked
- 1 lb. chicken “things”
- 2 T. butter or margarine
- 2 T. flour
- 1 c. chicken stock
- Shredded cheese, optional
1. Cube potatoes and put in a large pot full of cold water. Bring to a boil and cook until tender, about 15 minutes. Drain. Return potatoes to pot, mash with butter or margarine. Stir in milk and sour cream. Season to taste with salt, pepper and garlic powder.
2. Divide mashed potatoes into individual servings in bowls. Divide the corn on top of the potatoes. Add a layer of hot chicken “things” on top of the corn. (see this post for reheating instructions if you are using them from frozen.)
3. Melt 2 T. butter or margarine in a saucepan. Stir in 2 T. flour and cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring often. Whisk in chicken stock, bring to a boil and simmer until thickened. Stir in salt and pepper to taste.
4. Spoon some gravy over the chicken in each bowl and add some shredded cheese, if desired.
Stop by $5 Dinners for more $5 Dinner Challenge.