I’m a little embarrassed to admit this, but I have never eaten fajitas! I always love smell them at restaurants, and always say that that’s what I’ll order next time, but it just never happens. And as for making them, it’s pretty much the same thing. I tell myself to add fajitas to our weekly menu on a regular basis, yet here I am confessing that I’ve never eaten a fajita. I’m not sure what my hang-up is with them. I think I just might have to finally make them now that I’ve seen this recipe guest post from Meredith. They sound super easy to throw together and they look delicious, don’t you think? Enjoy!
The best kind of weeknight dinners all have a few important things in common. First of all, they should be quick; no busy parent has time to leisurely prepare an elaborate, multi-course meal every evening—not when you have chatty, crying or active kids to deal with! Another important feature of great weeknight dinners is that they should be easy to throw together. There’s no need to run out to the organic grocery store for one crucial, hard to find ingredient that would probably cost you a pretty penny anyway.
And when you have small kids, the best weeknight meals should also be easy to eat and serve; it’s no fun to spend all of dinnertime dicing up meat or picking out bones from the kids’ plates. Eating as a family should be enjoyable, not stressful, so picking simple, tasty and easy dishes are guaranteed to make your life a lot easier once 5:30 rolls around.
One of the best ways to speed up dinnertime and take the pressure off is to choose meals where everyone can “build their own” dinner, and this recipe for easy chicken fajitas is perfect for just that. Mexican recipes like fajitas, tacos and quesadillas are ideal for customizing to fit specific tastes—kids have the option of adding whatever fillings and toppings they like, so everyone is happy!
For this recipe, simply warm up some tortillas, prep the chicken and fajita veggies and set out bowls on the counter to let everyone pack their own tortillas with sour cream, salsa, cheese, lettuce, diced tomatoes or jalapenos to their hearts’ content. It takes less than half an hour to get everything on the table and is great for those nights when you want something fast but satisfying and lick-the-plate good. Enjoy!
Easy Chicken Fajitas
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes
Serves: 4 (2 fajitas each but this recipe doubles or triples easily, if needed)
- PAM® Original No-Stick Cooking Spray
- 3 cups bell pepper strips (fresh or frozen)
- 2 cups vertically sliced onion
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into thin slices
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 cans (10 oz each) Ro*Tel® Original Diced Tomatoes & Green Chilies, drained
- 8 flour tortillas (6 inch), warmed
1. Spray a large skillet with cooking spray; heat over medium-high heat. Add bell peppers and onion; cook for 7 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. Remove from skillet and set aside.
2. Add chicken to skillet. Sprinkle with chili powder and cumin. Cook for 4 minutes or until no longer pink, stirring occasionally.
3. Return peppers and onion to skillet; add drained tomatoes and cook for 2 more minutes or until everything is hot. Divide chicken mixture between the tortillas.
Author Bio: This is a guest post by Meredith K. on behalf of Ro*Tel. To explore other easy dinner, breakfast and appetizer recipes, from grilled guacamole to Ro*Tel’s famous queso dip, visit www.ro-tel.com.