I try to avoid boxed cake mixes whenever possible. I really just prefer the taste of homemade and I truly enjoy the process of baking a cake from scratch. But every once and a while, there are times when a boxed mix is the only solution.
I relied on a box mix earlier this summer when I tried my hand at making cake pops for the first time. And I always use a box mix when I make these delicious German Chocolate Cake Bars.
My husband is not a big cake fan. But he does like his desserts and he loves the flavors in German chocolate cake. This is what I make him for his birthday almost every year. It is so easy to put together and the taste is just incredible. The bars are ooey, gooey, chocolaty and super sweet. I could still eat half a dozen in one sitting though!
German Chocolate Cake Bars
- 1 box German chocolate cake mix
- 1/2 c. butter or margarine
- 1 c. chocolate chips
- 1 container Coconut-Pecan frosting
- 1/4 c. milk
1. In a large bowl, cut butter or margarine into cake mix until crumbly. Press 2 1/2 cups into the bottom of a greased 13×9 casserole dish. Bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes.
2. Remove from oven and sprinkle chocolate chips on top. Then drop globs of frosting on top of the chips. Stir the milk into the remaining cake mix/butter combination and add dollops of it on top of the frosting and chocolate chips.
3. Return to the oven and bake an additional 25-30 minutes. Remove and cool completely.
For best results when cutting, place the bars in the refrigerator first. They’ll be a little less gooey. (I did not refrigerate the bars first in that picture at the top of this post.)
Stop by Hooked On Houses for more Hooked On…