This is one of my dad’s all-time favorite desserts. His mom used to make for every holiday and birthday meal. Unfortunately, when she became sick a few years ago and moved in to a nursing home, this dessert was no longer a part of the family celebrations. At her funeral a few months ago, my aunt and I were discussing some of my grandma’s recipes and I asked my aunt to send me any that she had. My dad overheard us and requested that she also send me the recipe for cream cheese pie.
I was so excited to tackle recreating this favorite dessert for him to enjoy after Thanksgiving dinner. It was my first attempt and I wasn’t as pleased with the results as I had hoped. However, I was the only one who felt that way. My dad loved the pie!
- 1 1/2 c. graham cracker crumbs
- 3 T. sugar
- 1/3 c. butter, melted
- Dash of cinnamon
1. Mix ingredients together. Reserve 4 T. for topping. Press remaining mixture firmly and evenly against bottom and sides of a 9 inch pie plate. (Confession time – I was in a hurry and used a store-bought graham cracker crust.)
- 11 oz. cream cheese, softened (1 large & 1 small pkg.)
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 c. sugar
- 1 t. rum or whiskey (I was going for authentic for my dad, but if I make this for just us, I think I’ll use vanilla instead.)
1. Beat ingredients together until creamy. Pour into prepared crust. Sprinkle reserved crumb topping around the edges of the pie.
2. Bake at 375 degrees for 20 minutes.
- 1 c. sour cream
- 3 T. sugar
- 1 t. rum or whiskey (Again, I’ll use vanilla for just the 6 of us)
1. Beat topping ingredients together. Carefully place on top of pie. Bake for 5 minutes longer.
2. Cool to room temperature and refrigerate overnight before serving.
Find more Tempt My Tummy Tuesday at Blessed With Grace.
Find more Tackle-It Tuesday at 5 Minutes for Mom.