As many successes as I’ve had over the years with muffins, the perfect chocolate chip muffin recipe has always alluded me. To me, a chocolate chip muffin needs to be super moist and bursting with chocolate chips. All of the recipes and variations I’ve tried have always been close to what I was looking for but never an exact fit.
However, I think I may have finally hit on the perfect combination! I am so in love with these muffins, and judging by the speed with which they are disappearing from both the counter and the freezer, everyone else in the family agrees with me. The kids like them so much that they have been eating the ones I stuck in the freezer while they’re still frozen. Who knew frozen chocolate chip muffins would make a great summertime snack?
I think the magic combination in these muffins is melted butter combined with oil. It creates a moist, tender muffin that isn’t heavy or greasy. Plus, I think the combination keeps one flavor from being too much, which really lets the chocolate chips live up to their full potential of chocolatey goodness.
Chocolate Chip Muffins
- 3 c. flour
- 1 c. sugar
- 1 1/2 T. baking powder
- 1/2 t. salt
- 1 1/2 c. mini or regular-sized chocolate chips
- 1/2 c. butter, melted and cooled
- 1/4 c. vegetable or canola oil
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/2 c. milk
- 2 t. vanilla
1. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt until combined. Stir in the chocolate chips.
2. In a second bowl, combine the remaining ingredients and whisk until fully combined. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir just until everything is moistened and combined. Be careful not to over-stir.
3. Pour into greased or lined muffin tins. Bake at 375 degrees for 12-14 minutes for a mini-muffin tin and 15-18 minutes for a regular-sized muffin tin, until fully cooked. (Use the toothpick test, if needed.)
With this recipe I was able to make 40 mini muffins and 6 regular sized. I’d guess you’d get 1 1/2 – 2 dozen regular sized muffins, depending on the size of your muffin tin. But if you have a mini muffin tin, I definitely recommend going that route and using mini chocolate chips. They are two-bites of chocolately goodness that are just enough to fulfill a sweet tooth.