Remember those homemade egg noodles I shared the recipe for yesterday? Well, here’s how I used them in our dinner – chicken and gravy with homemade noodles.
This meal is all about basic down home comfort. The flavors blend together to create a creamy, delicious combination. It reminds me of something you’d get at Cracker Barrel or a similar restaurant, but I think it’s a thousand times better. And the smell while it simmers! There’s nothing that can compare.
Chicken & Gravy with Homemade Noodles
- 4 c. chicken stock
- 1 – 2 lb. chicken breasts or thighs
- 1/2 lb. baby carrots
- 2 t. dill
- 1/2 t. salt
- 1/2 t. black pepper
- 1 batch homemade egg noodles
1. In a large sauce pan or stock pot, combine chicken stock, chicken, carrots and seasoning. Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat and simmer for 20-30 minutes, until chicken is fully cooked. Remove chicken with a slotted spoon and set aside to cool.
2. Add cut noodles to pot. Return to a boil and let boil until noodles are desired tenderness, about 7-10 minutes, depending on the thickness of the noodles. The broth will thicken as the noodles cook until it is a gravy consistency.
3. Shred or dice cooled chicken and return to pot. Stir to combine and continue cooking until heated through. Serve immediately, or refrigerate and warm on the stove before serving.