In our house, there are two things that always go over big at dinner time – spaghetti and chicken. So with chicken cacciatore, we get the best of both worlds.
The bulk of the meal freezes perfectly, and it works in a freezer bag, so it hardly takes up any room. All that will need to be done before dinner is to boil some pasta. Easy and delicious!Chicken Cacciatore
- 3 T. Extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 small onion, diced
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 3 carrots, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, diced
- 1/2 t. crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 t. Italian seasoning
- 1 t. salt
- 1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken pieces (breasts or thighs)
- 2 cans crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 c. chicken stock
1. Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion, green pepper, carrots and garlic. Cook for about 5 minutes, until veggies are cooked but still a little crispy. Stir in seasonings.
2. Add chicken to the skillet. Cover with tomatoes and chicken stock. Bring to a slow boil, cover and simmer at least 30 minutes. The chicken should be fully cooked by this point, but a longer simmer time will result in more flavor. Before serving, you can cut the chicken into bite-sized pieces if desired. Serve over spaghetti.
Stop by $5 Dinners for the $5 Dinner Challenge.