- 1/3 c. butter
- 1/2 onion, finely diced
- 1/4 c. flour
- 2 c. chicken stock
- 1/2 c. milk
- 2 c. shredded chicken
- 1/2 bag frozen mixed veggies
- Salt, pepper, spices or seasonings of your choice (my current favorite is a blend by Penzeys called “Sunny Paris” that I was given for Christmas. It contains shallots, chives, green peppercorns, basil, tarragon, chervil, bay leaf, and dill. It has a wonderfully fresh and unique flavor that blends very well with this dish.)
1. Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add onions and cook until translucent. Whisk in flour and cook for 1-2 minutes.
2. Add chicken stock and milk. Stir constantly. Bring to a boil and let boil until thickened. Remove from heat. Add chicken, veggies, and seasonings.
Some of the ways I have used this mixture are:
- In a casserole, over egg noodles or other pasta
- To top baked potatoes
- Over homemade biscuits
- Thinned with an extra 1 c. of chicken stock, and the addition of rice or potatoes for a soup
- Thinned with an extra 1 1/2 c. chicken stock for chicken and dumplings
- Thickened with an extra 1/2 c. white sauce for pot pie filling
This also freezes perfectly. I love having it on hand for a quick, last minute dinner.