Here’s the recipe for the casserole we had for dinner the other night. (Sorry for not posting it sooner!) It’s really very simple and the results are always delicious. The only downside to this dish is that I’ve yet to figure out a good way to freeze it while still retaining the quality.
Cheesy Sausage & Veggie Casserole
- 2 lbs. potatoes, cubed (peel if desired)
- 2 t. oil
- 1 lb. Polish or smoked sausage, sliced
- 3 T. flour
- 2 c. milk
- 1 1/2 c. shredded cheese
- 1 t. cumin
- 1/4 t. salt
- 1/4 t. black pepper
- 1/2 lb. California-blend frozen veggies, thawed
1. Place potatoes in a large pot of cold water. Bring to a boil and boil for about 15 minutes, until fork tender.
2. Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large skillet. Add sausage and cook until lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Remove sausage with a slotted spoon and set aside.
3. Whisk flour into drippings in skillet and cook for 2 minutes. Add milk and bring to a slow boil until thickened, stirring frequently. Remove from heat and add cheese and seasonings. Stir until melted.
4. In a large casserole dish, layer the potatoes, veggies and sausage. Pour cheese over the top and stir to incorporate everything. Bake at 375 degrees for 35-45 minutes, until bubbly and lightly golden brown on top.
Stop by $5 Dinners for the $5 Dinner Challenge.