Fall is absolutely my favorite time of year. It means sweater-weather, chilly days, colorful trees, an abundance of soups, and all of my favorite flavors – including pumpkin and caramel apple. Fortunately, it seems to be a favorite with the rest of the family too, judging by the amount of fall-inspired treats we consume and the copious amounts of fall decorations that fill our house. Eric is my perfect partner in crime for making sure our fall coma lasts well into the early days of winter since his love of the season definitely rivals mine.
If you’ve been a regular reader for any length of time, I’m sure none of this comes as a surprise to you. My archives are definitely filled with recipes that feature fall flavors in all their glory. But since I never tire of them, I’m always excited to find new recipes and food items that I can incorporate into our fall meals. That’s why I was instantly smitten with the new fall-inspired flavors from Pillsbury® – Pumpkin Cake, Pumpkin Cookies, Caramel Apple Cake, Caramel Apple Cookies, Caramel Apple Frosting. Does it get any better than that? Endless yumminess!
I had so much fun thinking up different recipes that could be created with these fun products. My brainstorming list was over 2 1/2 pages! I finally settled on these Caramel Apple Cookie Bars and was not disappointed. I opted to create a buttery, shortbread style crust that would hold up well to lots of toppings while not overpowering any of the caramel-y, apple-y goodness.
Caramel Apple Cookie Bars
- 1 box Pillsbury Caramel Apple Cookie Mix
- 1 stick (1/2 c.) butter, cut into pieces
- 1 tub Pillsbury Caramel Apple Frosting
- 1 – 2 apples, depending on size
- 1/2 c. chopped nuts (I used walnuts, but pecans or peanuts would be equally delicious.)
1. Pour cake mix into a large bowl and cut in butter until crumbly. Press into a 13″ x 9″ casserole dish.
2. Bake at 350 degrees for 15-18 minutes, until golden brown around the edges and set in the middle. Cool for at least 20 minutes.
3. Spread 3/4 of the frosting on top of the cooled cookie base.
4. Cut the apple(s) into very thin slices and arrange in overlapping rows on top of the frosting.
5. Scoop remaining frosting into a small, microwave-safe bowl and microwave for 15 seconds. Carefully pour frosting evenly over the apple slices and then sprinkle on chopped nuts.
6. Serve immediately or refrigerate until serving. Enjoy!
One thing to note about these bars is that they are very sweet, which is a good thing because a little goes a long way. So, this would be a great addition to a Thanksgiving dessert buffet or any other fall parties you throw or attend.
Disclaimer: This is a sponsored post written by me on behalf of Pillsbury. The recipe and opinions are my own. I received free product and monetary compensation for my role as a Pillsbury Celebration Starter Ambassador.
©/® The J.M. Smucker Company. Pillsbury is a trademark of The Pillsbury Company, LLC, used under license.