I needed a quick snack to make the kids this afternoon and I felt like baking for some reason. I’m not sure why I thought that was a good idea on a nice, sunny day. But at least heating up the kitchen and losing out on some sunshine were worth it. These turned out delicious. Plus, I was smart enough to double the batch so that we would have enough for breakfast tomorrow.
This recipe is based on The Happy Housewife’s No-Rise Cinnamon Roll recipe, which she just shared on Happy To Be At Home. Up until about 6 months ago, I made yeast cinnamon rolls on a weekly basis. We’ve been a bit burnt out on them since then. So I decided to go a little bit different with this yummy recipe.
Breakfast Puffs w/Chocolate & Vanilla Drizzles
- 2 1/3 c. flour
- 1 T. baking powder
- 1/2 t. salt
- 1/2 c. butter, cut into pieces
- 1/2 c. milk
- 1/3 c. butter, melted
- 1/2 c. sugar
- 1/4 c. brown sugar
- 1 T. cinnamon
- 1 1/4 c. powdered sugar
- 1/2 t. vanilla
- 1 – 2 T. milk
- 1/4 c. chocolate chips
1. In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt. Cut in the 1/2 c. butter until crumbly. Stir in milk and mix until combined. Knead for 1 minute.
2. Roll all of the dough into walnut sized pieces. In a small bowl, combine the sugars and cinnamon. Roll each ball of dough in the melted butter and then in the cinnamon-sugar mixture. Place 3 balls of dough into each cup of a greased muffin tin. Bake at 375 degrees for 15-20 minutes, until lightly browned.
2. Cool for 5 minutes then remove from tin to a wire rack to finish cooling.
3. In a small bowl, combine powdered sugar, vanilla and 1 T. milk. Whisk until fully combined, adding more milk if needed to achieve drizzling consistency. In a second small bowl, microwave chocolate chips for 25 seconds, stir and microwave in 15 second intervals until completely melted. Drizzle the vanilla glaze and the melted chocolate over the breakfast puffs.
This batch makes 1 dozen breakfast puffs. If you want to double the batch, you can freeze the baked puffs. To reheat, thaw on the counter overnight.