This coffee cake could accurately be called multi-purpose cake, because it is definitely suitable for many occasions. It is definitely delicious as a breakfast coffee cake. But it also works well as a snack cake or even a dessert. The texture is light and fluffy and just overflowing with blueberries. It is not too sweet for breakfast and just sweet enough to satisfy for dessert. I love double-duty food like that!
Ordinarily I use fresh blueberries in this recipe, but you could easily use frozen ones too, just do NOT thaw them before baking.
Blueberry Coffee Cake
- 2 c. flour
- 1 1/2 c. sugar
- 1/2 c. butter or margarine, cut into small pieces
- 1 t. baking powder
- 2 eggs, separated
- 1 c. milk
- 1 t. vanilla
- 2 – 2 1/2 c. blueberries
1. In a large mixing bowl, combine flour and sugar. Cut in butter or margarine, or mix with an electric mixer on low speed, until crumbly. Reserve 3/4 c. crumb mixture for topping.
2. To the remaining mixture, add baking powder, egg yolks (reserve whites in a separate bowl), milk and vanilla. Beat until combined, about 1 minute.
3. Whisk the reserved egg whites until soft peaks form. Gently fold into the batter.
4. Pour the batter into a greased 13×9 casserole dish. Cover with bluberries. Sprinkle reserved crumb mixture over the blueberries. Bake at 350 degrees for 35 – 40 minutes, until lightly browned and fully cooked.
This post is being linked to: