The Game Plan
- Breakfast – Breakfast cookies (preferably made the day before or from the freezer), bananas
- Lunch – Sandwiches, yogurt, grapes
- Dinner – BBQ Meatloaf & Carmelized Onion Pizza, carrots with dill butter
- Snack – Cheese & crackers
The Plan In Action
*This plan takes advantage of some freezer cooking or earlier preparation. It’s perfect for a relaxing Sunday meal. However, it also requires some last minute prep work.
- 8:00am – Serve breakfast. While eating breakfast, cut up pre-made meatloaf or meatballs. I used some meatloaf cups (recipe to follow) that I had in the freezer. If you don’t have any extra or leftover meatloaf or meatballs on hand, brown 1 lb. of ground beef. Store in refrigerator.
- 8:30am – Make barbecue sauce. Combine 1 c. ketchup (or, in a pinch like I was, 1 can tomato paste, 1 can water, 1 t. apple cider vinegar and 1/2 t. salt), 2 T. worchestschire sauce, 2 T. brown sugar, 1 t. each; garlic powder, chili powder, cumin, black pepper, and 1/2 t. crushed red pepper flakes. Stir until well blended, cover, and put in refrigerator.
- 8:40am – Slice one large yellow onion and heat 2 T. butter in a skillet over medium heat. Add onion to skillet. Stir in 2 t. honey. Reduce heat to medium-low and let cook for 20 minutes, stirring often.
- 8:50 – While onions cook, shred 2 c. cheddar cheese, or skip this step if using preshredded cheese.
- 9:10am – Store onions and cheese in the refrigerator.
- 12:30pm – Make & eat lunch
- 3:30pm – Make pizza dough. Dissolve 2 t. yeast in 1 c. warm water for 5 minutes. Stir in 2 T. honey, 3 T. olive oil and 1/2 t. salt. Add about 3 1/2 c. flour, 1/2 c. at a time, until dough is no longer sticky. (This can be done in a stand mixer also.) Knead for about 5 minutes.
- 3:45pm – Place dough in a greased bowl, cover and let rise for 30 minutes.
- 4:15pm – Punch dough down. Knead back into a ball and return to bowl. Cover and let rise again for 1 hour 15 minutes.
- 5:15pm – Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 5:30pm – Roll out dough into a circle and place on a pizza stone or tray, or press onto a cookie sheet sprinkled with cornmeal. Prebake crust at 350 degrees for 10 minutes.
- 5:40pm – Cover crust with sauce, caramelized onions, meatloaf pieces and shredded cheese. Place back in oven for 15 – 20 minutes.
- 5:45pm – Bring 2 cups of water and 1/2 lb. baby carrots or sliced carrots to a boil. Cover and remove from heat for 10 minutes.
- 5:55pm – Check pizza and remove from oven if done. Drain carrots and return to pan. Stir in 2 T. butter and 1 T. dill weed. Stir until butter is melted.
- 6:00pm – Slice pizza and serve with carrots.
BBQ Meatloaf & Caramelized Onion Pizza
For Pizza Dough
- 1 c. warm water
- 2 T. yeast
- 2 T. honey
- 3 T. olive oil
- 1/2 t. salt
- 3 1/2 c. flour
1. Dissolve yeast in warm water for 5 minutes. Stir in honey, olive oil and salt. Add the flour, 1/2 c. at a time, until dough is no longer sticky. (This can be done in a stand mixer also.) Knead for about 5 minutes.
2. Place dough in a greased bowl, cover and let rise for 30 minutes. Punch down dough, knead 1 minute, recover in greased bowl and let rise 1 – 1 1/2 hours.
3. Roll out pizza crust and place on a pizza stone, or press onto a cookie sheet sprinkled with corn meal. Prebake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes. Remove from oven, let cool and top with pizza toppings.
For Pizza Toppings –
- 1 c. ketchup (or, in a pinch like I was, 1 can tomato paste, 1 can water, 1 t. apple cider vinegar and 1/2 t. salt)
- 2 T. worchestschire sauce
- 2 T. brown sugar
- 1 t. each; garlic powder, chili powder, cumin, black pepper
- 1/2 t. crushed red pepper flakes
1. Stir all ingredients together until combined.
- 1 large yellow onion, sliced
- 2 T. butter
- 2 t. honey
1. Melt butter in a skillet. Add onions and honey. Cook over medium-low heat for about 20 minutes, until onions are tender and caramelized.
—6 meatloaf cups, leftover meatloaf or meatballs, cut into cubes
–2 c. shredded cheddar cheese
To put the pizza together:
1. Spread BBQ sauce over pizza crust. Top with caramelized onions.
2. Cover onions and sauce with chopped meatloaf.
3. Cover all with shredded cheese.
4. Bake for 15-20 minutes at 350 degrees, until crust is done and cheese is melted.
For just the pizza recipe, go here.
Check out lots more recipes over at Grocery Cart Challenge.