Our Sunday nights have definitely become the time to have a dinner that’s a little different and a little bit more special than other nights. I know Sunday nights are the traditional time to have a meal like that, but for a long time, our schedule kept that from being possible. So it’s exciting to me that we’re now able to partake in this ritual.
Because of this, Sunday nights have become the one time when I ditch my stolen moments method. I’ve been re-thinking this lately though because we seem to be eating later and later, which means that the kids go to bed later and later. They definitely don’t complain, but Eric and I do prefer when they go to bed on time, especially because Eric has to go out to work for a few hours on Sunday nights.
Last Sunday, I wanted something a little homey and a little gourmet. So, I combined the two and came up with this delicious Baked Chicken with Creamy Mushroom & Caper Sauce. Yummy stuff!!
Baked Chicken with Creamy Mushroom & Caper Sauce
- 1 – 2 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/2 t. thyme
- 1 c. chicken stock
- 2 T. butter
- 1/2 lb. mushrooms, sliced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 t. thyme
- 1/2 t. salt
- 1/4 t. pepper
- 2 T. capers
- 1/4 c. half and half or heavy cream
1. Season both sides of chicken breasts with salt and pepper, to taste and 1/2 t. thyme. Place in a baking dish and pour on chicken stock. Cover and bake at 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes, until chicken is fully cooked. Remove chicken and set aside. Reserve cooking liquid.
2. Melt butter in a large skillet. Add mushrooms and garlic. Cook over medium heat until mushrooms are browned. Stir in remaining thyme, salt and pepper. Pour in reserved cooking liquid. Bring to a slow boil and simmer until reduced by half. Stir in capers and cream. Cook an additional 2 minutes. Pour over chicken and serve.