It seems I am always desperate for new breakfast and lunch ideas. Although I have a ton of recipes for both meals in my repertoire, I always want something new. It doesn’t matter if we eat something different for lunch every day for a month, I’ll still feel like we’re eating the same thing every day.
So, when inspiration hits, I tend to run with it.
I’ve already sung my muffin-praises in the past. But what about savory muffins? Hmm…that idea had instant appeal for me because it’s different from our norm but still in the same muffin-shaped package that I love. Not to mention it would go great for either breakfast or lunch.
And what better to add to a savory muffin than bacon and cheese? Seemed like a no-brainer to me!
Bacon & Cheese Muffins
- 4 c. flour
- 4 t. baking powder
- 1/2 t. salt
- 1/2 t. black pepper
- 2 1/2 c. milk
- 1/2 c. butter or margarine, melted and cooled
- 2 eggs
- 1 lb. bacon, diced, cooked and degreased
- 1 1/2 c. shredded cheddar cheese
1. In a large mixing bowl, stir together flour, baking powder, salt and pepper. In a small bowl, mix together the milk, melted butter or margarine and eggs. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir just until moistened.
2. Fold in the bacon and cheese just until combined. Scoop into greased or lined muffin tins. Bake at 400 degrees for 20-25 minutes, until lightly golden brown.
This recipe, like most of my muffin recipes, makes a lot of muffins. I got 20 muffins. You’ll probably get 20-24 muffins depending on the size of your muffin tins. I froze half of our muffins for later in the month.