You know those classic sausage-cheese-bisquick balls? We love those things around here! Whenever I make a finger-food dinner for us to eat while watching a movie or playing some games together as a family, those are always on the menu. And they are a standard for an appetizer when we have company over too.
As great as they are though, I decided I wanted to play around with the basic recipe a bit and see if I could create something new. My goal was to make them without bisquick (or without having to make a homemade bisquick alternative) and to give them a great autumn flavor. Knowing how well apples and sausage go together, I decided to start from there.
I was so pleased with the final result. These Apple Sausage Balls definitely have that fall-ish flavor I was after. They’d be great for holiday entertaining, either served with a brunch or as an appetizer. I’m thinking I’ll make up a batch to take to my parents’ house when we go for Thanksgiving.
Apple Sausage Balls
- 3/4 c. flour
- 1/2 t. baking powder
- 1/4 t. baking soda
- 1/4 t. salt
- 1 lb. bulk pork sausage (original or maple flavored)
- 2 c. shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 T. maple syrup
- 1 apple, peeled and diced
- 1/8 t. allspice
1. In a large bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add the pork sausage, cheese, maple syrup, apple and allspice.
2. Using your hands, combine everything together until all of the ingredients are incorporated. Roll into evenly sized balls, about the size of a golf ball.
3. Place sausage balls on a baking sheet and bake at 375 degrees for 15-20 minutes, until fully cooked.
These are great to make ahead, which makes them even more perfect for entertaining in my opinion. The sausage mixture can be mixed together and formed into balls up to a day ahead. They can also be frozen either before being baked or after. Perfect!